Island Cemetery Annex (NT002)


The Trustees of the Island Cemetery continued to buy additional land in the 20th century that was not contiguous with the existing site. 79 acres purchased near the harbor in 1920 were taken in 1940 by the United States Navy for their base.

The Island Cemetery annex property currently on Van Zandt Ave. was purchased in August 1926 from Arendt Brandt.

Notable burial:

Lieutenant Thomas Eadie, U.S.N (1887-1974) was awarded the Medal of Honor for using his diving skills to rescue a fellow Navy diver (1927). 

From President Calvin Coolidge:
For display of extraordinary heroism in the line of his profession above and beyond the call of duty on 18 December 1927, during the diving operations in connection with the sinking of the U.S.S. S-4 with all on board, as a result of a collision off Provincetown, Mass. On this occasion when Michels, Chief Torpedoman, United States Navy, while attempting to connect an airline to the submarine at a depth of 102 feet became seriously fouled, Eadie, under the most adverse diving conditions, deliberately, knowingly and willingly took his own life in his hands by promptly descending to the rescue in response to the desperate need of his companion diver. After two hours of extremely dangerous and heartbreaking work, by his cool, calculating and skillful labors, he succeeded in his mission and brought Michels safely to the surface.”

Thomas Eadie was born in Scotland. In 1905 he enlisted in the United Sates Navy and he served during WWI and WWII. He moved to Newport in 1913. A plaque honors him in the First Presbyterian Church in Newport and a street bears his name.



Island Cemetery Website link

Search graves in Island Cemetery link The digital database debuted in 2021

Use this link for the listing of graves on the RI State database ( list will be updated in 2022-23)

return to top of the page